Adwords has introduced a new addition to its keyword details button with addition great competitor detail.
All you have to do in order to access this is:
1. Click on a single keyword on the checkbox (only one allowed per auction insight)
2. Click on Keyword Details
3. Click on Auction Insights (single keyword only)
You will then see a list of all major competitors for this keyword with the following columns and data:
Display url domain
Position above rate
Top of page rate
Please see Google Explanations below for each field:
Display url domain – The visible URL included in the participant’s ad in the auctions. This column identifies the participant.
Impression share – How often a participant received an impression, as a proportion of the auctions in which you were also competing. Impression share is the percentage of impressions you received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive. Eligibility is based on your current ads’ targeting settings, approval statuses, bids, and Quality Scores. This number is updated once a day.
Average position – The average position for the participant’s ads when they received an impression (all successful auctions).
Overlap rate – How often another participant’s ad received an impression when your ad also received an impression.
Position above rate – When you and another participant received an impression in the same auctions, how often the other participant’s ad was shown in a higher position on the page than yours was.
Top of page rate – When a participant’s ad received impressions, how often it appeared at the top of the page above the search results.
Recommendations (still testing and playing with this data as this feature has only gone online in the past 2 days (as of May 2012)
1. Learn from your top competition – sort by impression share and learn from the ads that your top competitors build and how you may learn to improve your quality score.
2. Download in excel – Use and sort multiple columns at once for more data, such as, sort by “Top of page rate” and then sort “Overlap rate”.
3. Find new places to promote your products – In one of our cases for an ecommerce site, we take a look at the domains in “Display url domain”, look at these sites and find new shopping sites that we can advertise our products on.
Examples are: amazon.com, bizrate.com, , ebay.com, shopzilla.com
Hope you liked this article. Share your experience with this new feature.