YouTube gets 72 hours of video upload every minute.
Can you wrap your head around that!!!!!
YouTube gets 72 hours of video upload every minute.
Can you wrap your head around that!!!!!
We recently received a new request to research and come up with a proposal for marketing a new film online without the help of large film studios. As a first response, we were thrilled as we love to help with projects that empower the individual and show that with a great product, technology and the internet we don’t need to follow the dusty old business model. After the initial thrill, we started research for this project. Part of the research included reverse engineer and taking examples from successful projects that have marketed online. We have come up with some conclusions and main ideas that need to be taken under consideration when starting a project like this.
Who is our Target Audience?
Including age group, countries, gender, income level, purchasing power, etc
Do you want to create subtitles and market in foreign speaking countries
Is there a cause or a message?
Do you want a message to carry-on (documentary for example) or is the movie for entertainment purposes only?
How do you want to sell your movie?
DVD, Online (Itunes, Amazon, Own Website)
How much does the movie sell for?
And how much are your audience willing to pay. Is there a set standard online price and do you want to break this standard? ($2.99 rentals)
How do i deal with digital sharing and can i make this to my benefit. Can i add elements to my film to help? Will need to discuss distribution options with this in mind.
Each and every movie has a website. Creation of a high quality website with STRONG social aspects is an important key to success.
Important factors include:
– Encouraging Social Sharing
– Teaser Trailers
– Newletter Sign-ups and regular follow-up with news and fun content
– Simple concepts and videos
The website will have to use quality hosting in expectation to high surges of traffic.
Depending on your resources, you may not want to setup too many sites to handle. It is all about quality.
Even before we start marketing, we will need to gather a long list of potential influences.
A quick List of Possibilities:
– Actors from the film (utilizing twitter, facebook, pr)
– List of Movie Industry Contacts
– Celebrities – [w/ millions of twitter followers :)]
– Press and Journalists
– List of Top Movie Related Sites and Movie Bloggers
– Social Media Influencers
– Reddit Posts and Content Creation
– Nerd Geek Movie Freaks out there
Get the movie out to a small set of people with online importance and have them write about it.
Get people interested in the trailers much before launch. Get comments on your youtube and vimeo videos. Get them interested and bring them to your website, twitter and facebook for news sign-ups and close relationships with your fans. Create great trailers for buzz on sites like imdb commenting, indiewire, reddit, blu-ray.com forum, variety, etc.
Make close contacts with everyone you can!
1. Kony 2012 –
Setting aside what may or may not have happened, Kony v1.0 was a huge success from a social standpoint and we can learn from its
– 90 Million Youtube Views
– 18 Million Vimeo Views
– Targeted Celebrity Support – Justin Bieber, Sean “Diddy” Combs, Ryan Gosling and Oprah
– Multi-Country Span
2. Louis CK – Live at the Beacon Theatre
– Charged $5
– Self Distributed Video
– Has a huge twitter following (currently at 1.26 million followers)
– Keeps a mailing list
– Is very funny!
3. Something to think about? should we disrupt the business model?
Radiohead’s “Pay what you want” Rainbows model from 2007
4. Avenues to Sell on
Do you want to enable purchasing on multiple avenues?
Project will need to determine and weigh the benefits vs drawbacks of each avenue
– Sell your own – easy to “Torrent-It”, extra bandwidth
– Amazon vod – charges 50% of sale – https://www.createspace.com/Products/VideoDownload/Index.jsp
– Itunes – TBD charge – http://www.apple.com/itunes/content-providers/movie-faq.html
5. Get Joe Rogan to see it and honestly review it. If it’s good it will spread!
6. Paid Ads and Extra Engagement
What about adwords, youtube ads, facebook ads, etc?
As a small business and growing SEO and internet marketing company we understand the importance of going to industry conferences, learning new tactics and being involved in the mass-group energy of SEO’ers. Conferences are great for networking, their amazing workshops and speeches by leading experts (Would love to meet Rand Fishkin one of these days…) but on the other hand for a growing company it is not that easy for us to spend any extra $2,000 on a few days of a conference.
Expenses for one are:
– $1,095 for a workshop pass – All access passes have been sold out.
Based on above, guessing All Access Pass at around $1,395
– Flight from San Diego (just checked orbitz rates) – $370
– Hotel for 2 nights – Roughly $100/night for more affordable hotel
Total Spending – $1,395 + $370 + $200 = $1,965
As a short simple calculation based on old data
– Adwords “SEO San Diego” variation terms @ $6/click.
– Roughly we will be able to get 333 clicks for $2,000.
– Conversion Rate for new customers at 1% for roughly 3 new clients.
– Average Client fee per month – $650 with contract for 12 months
Estimated revenue – 3 x $650 x 12 = $23,400 in a year
Since the first time that i saw a 3D printer, which by the way was a MakerBot, i absolutely loved it. The idea of DIY and the growing power of the individual in thanks to the internet and technology have been mind blowing to me. Arduino is another example of DIY power.
Will return with hundreds of photos to post on facebook…
All web designers today must pay attention to additional aspects such as SEO and conversion data.
See Google Browser Size Tool to get a better idea about what users can actually see without scrolling (numbers ofcourse don’t include less space taken from toolbars and funny browser bars)
For some reason while searching for a post on our blog, specifically site:www.www.astralwebinc.com/blog/, one of our posts meta description was translated into french.
After spending at least an hour on searching what had happened and why my organizational account could not be setup for the link of an MCC account on my Google Certification, i had finally succeeded.
See simple instructions below:
1. Login to Google Account for certification.
2. Go to “my profile” page at https://adwords.google.com/professionals/account/?hl=en&pli=1#IndividualProfile
3. Under “Email Address Preference” click on “add email address”
4. Add MCC google account email
5. Go to MCC google account email and login as that email
6. Click on “https://adwords.google.com/professionals/account/?hl=en#AddEmailAddress”
7. Approve user on next page
8. Go to MCC accound and get account number on top right hand corner of page xxx-xxx-xxxx
9. Log back in to Certification Google Account
10. Go to https://adwords.google.com/professionals/account/?hl=en&pli=1#CompanyAdWords on “Company Tab”
11. Click on “adwords partner status”
12. Click on “link MCC” and enter info
Very cool stuff. We haven’t tried it yet but seems from this video similiar to Optimizely
See Astral Web’s Chrome Extension for easy to find out nofollow links on any page.
Adwords has introduced a new addition to its keyword details button with addition great competitor detail.
All you have to do in order to access this is:
1. Click on a single keyword on the checkbox (only one allowed per auction insight)
2. Click on Keyword Details
3. Click on Auction Insights (single keyword only)
You will then see a list of all major competitors for this keyword with the following columns and data:
Display url domain
Position above rate
Top of page rate
Please see Google Explanations below for each field:
Display url domain – The visible URL included in the participant’s ad in the auctions. This column identifies the participant.
Impression share – How often a participant received an impression, as a proportion of the auctions in which you were also competing. Impression share is the percentage of impressions you received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive. Eligibility is based on your current ads’ targeting settings, approval statuses, bids, and Quality Scores. This number is updated once a day.
Average position – The average position for the participant’s ads when they received an impression (all successful auctions).
Overlap rate – How often another participant’s ad received an impression when your ad also received an impression.
Position above rate – When you and another participant received an impression in the same auctions, how often the other participant’s ad was shown in a higher position on the page than yours was.
Top of page rate – When a participant’s ad received impressions, how often it appeared at the top of the page above the search results.
Recommendations (still testing and playing with this data as this feature has only gone online in the past 2 days (as of May 2012)
1. Learn from your top competition – sort by impression share and learn from the ads that your top competitors build and how you may learn to improve your quality score.
2. Download in excel – Use and sort multiple columns at once for more data, such as, sort by “Top of page rate” and then sort “Overlap rate”.
3. Find new places to promote your products – In one of our cases for an ecommerce site, we take a look at the domains in “Display url domain”, look at these sites and find new shopping sites that we can advertise our products on.
Examples are: amazon.com, bizrate.com, , ebay.com, shopzilla.com
Hope you liked this article. Share your experience with this new feature.
For most of our SEO efforts we have dealt with the need to find ideas for content and writing for our client blogs and websites on a regular basis. We typically prepare monthly tasks for our writers and sometimes it happens that we have trouble with unique fun content to write (especially for those clients that don’t sell space travel and that we have been working with for a long time).
This article will explain a few ideas of how to find new content and a walk-through of a sample website and keywords to showcase how easy it can be.
Website Topic – Ecommerce Site Selling Yoga Mats (we choose this because we do not have a client in this field and it is the first idea that popped up in mind)
Strategy #1 – Using Google AutoSuggest
We would like to begin with a variation of the terms you all learned in preschool, The 5 W’s OR The six W’s and one H’s:
Our tip is to take the 6 terms and add to them. For example “who sells …”, “what is a…”, “when is the …”, “why do …”, etc.
* NOTE – ofcourse this strategy gives you content ideas for your blog as well as new things to add to your site, products descriptions, reviews, etc.You can go on and on for this.
Strategy #2 – Use Twitter Content Ideas, Suggestions and Funny Topics
Using a quick search for “yoga mats”, https://twitter.com/#!/search/yoga%20mat we have found a few topics to play with:
a. Funny or not, this is your decision: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/leisure/2012/05/28/every-dog-has-its%E2%80%A6-yoga-mat/
b. “Walking around with a yoga mat is the new borrowing your friends dog.”
c. “Lately there’s been an improvement in my wife’s trustworthiness. Now she even takes her yoga mat when she goes to yoga class.” – Suggested topic learned form this post – “Becoming serious in yoga, invest in a quality mat”
d. “mat cleaning tips” link
Strategy #3 – Google Insights for Search
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=yoga%20mat&cmpt=q – Use Google Insights for information such Country searches and trends.
found sample articles such as
The McRib Sandwich and a Yoga Mat: What Do They Have In Common?
Fangtastic! Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev turns contortionist as she uses Conan O’Brien as a human yoga mat
An 8-months pregnant Lara Dutta on the yoga mat
found terms such as:
best yoga mat
jade yoga mat
DON’T FORGET – to add the search terms and rising searches to your igoogle if you are like me and you load igoogle multiple times a day once you load your browser.
Strategy #4 – Search Social Sites
Compare and get ideas of what works – We typically use reddit, digg and delicious to start with but you can search for both yoga related or any other desired site. Please see a few topics we have found:
– Yoga 30 Day Challenge (Starts Friday 4/20!) Join us!
– Border yoga event stretches boundaries at U.S.-Mexico fence
– Five Reasons You Can Thank Yoga for Better Sex
Strategy #5 – Look at Video Content
Search for ideas of videos that work – for example on youtube.
Use you have come up with ideas for videos, if you don’t have budgets to create videos, search sites like fiverr or craigslist for help with videos.
Strategy #6 – Use customers questions to write content
In addition to updating your FAQ, try to write specific detailed content on your blog about the most frequent emailed questions.
Strategy #7 – Write an annual summary report
Some users love to use the year in their search terms. Try to include the year in your content for the year in review and the upcoming year. We have found that in many cases these terms as much less competitive.
For example – Yoga Mats Reviews 2012 or Upcoming Yoga Mats 2012
Strategy #8 – Use Google Adwords Keywords Tool
This is a pretty obvious tool to use while completing keyword research but finding long tail terms is great for content ideas.
Ideas found: model numbers, coupons (coupon code), personalized, materials (cotton, plastic, bamboo, etc), non slip, thickness, shape (round, rectangle, square?), colors (pink, green, red, etc)
Content from above idea: what are the colors …., what is the best material, …. can a yoga mat be round?
Strategy #9 – Finding Niches from Article Submission Sites
A quick search on ezinearticles shows new topics to read about and learn from including:
– 5 Yoga Mats for an ECO Friendly Practice
– How to choose a yoga mat
– Improve Yoga by Learning How to Clean a Yoga Mat
– What Does an Ashtanga Yoga Mat Provide?
Strategy #10 – Experimental and Photo Galleries
With the entire inventory of products, try to be creative and photo shoot unique products, products together and be creative.
Examples just made up:
– Rainbow yoga class pictures
– Create a quiz for “What does your yoga mat color mean about you”
– Yoga mat kite flying in the air
– Red Carpets photoshop changes at Academy Awards with yoga mats.
Hope you loved this article from Astral Web. Also see our Yoga SEO Link List. Share the love and spread this on Twitter, Google + and Facebook.