A few simple steps for follow with new strategy planning and beginning of new local seo projects.
1. Website Changes – start by updating contact page and homepage to include your cities in title tag and prominent areas in content as well as having your full address with phone number on all pages (footer is fine in many cases). Also, if possible try to embed a google map of your location.
2. Phone distribution lists – Register with the following and send your data across the internet.
– My Business Listing by Acxiom [need to add code]
– Express Data USA
– Universal Business Listing (UBL)
– What about Yext – we haven’t tried them yet. Would love to hear more in our comments section.
After that please verify your initial google maps via places.google.com and your yahoo and bing maps.
3. Submit to Yellow Pages and Local Directories
See more at our local seo link building list.
4. Local mentions
Find a list of all local city sites, newspapers and todo site in your city (los angeles for exaple) and start getting mentions, guest blogging and registering.
5. Use citation finder tool
Whitespark is THE tool to use. It pulls out a nice excel sheet of all found local mentions of your competitors citations. LOVE THIS TOOL!!!
5. Send press relases
Make sure you have full citation info in each one of them
6. Use Google MapMaker
Verify you info and add old busness names to editing
– don’t forget to add as much information as you can to your listings (including videos and images)
– get reviews on constant basis to all major listings especially google places, yelp and yahoo local
– learn from others (david mihm for example)